Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mini Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies

This week I made mini-chocolate chip cookie sandwiches!!!  They were for an event at the library, and they were well-liked by everyone.  ;)  They came out very cute, and very tasty!

I used the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, with a few changes.  Instead of using butter, I used butter-flavored Crisco, as it yields a softer cookie.  The salt was reduced to 1/4 teaspoon, and the chocolate chips were reduced to 1 cup.  For this batch of cookies, I omitted the nuts since these were for a group of people other than family, and I didn't want to risk someone with a nut allergy eating one!!  I used mini chocolate chips because I used a mini cookie scoop.


When I put these on the pan to bake, I used the bottom of a glass cup to flatten them into a more sandwich-friendly thickness.  I baked them for 6 minutes, and they came out slightly crispy, so I would recommend baking them for only 4-5 minutes for a nice soft cookie.



Once these were all made, I put them in the fridge overnight.  The next morning, I made the filling, using Bakerella's Easy Buttercream Frosting recipe.  It was absolutely wonderful!!!!  It had the easily spreadable texture of the tubs of frosting that you can buy at the store.  It had a sugary, vanilla taste, and I loved it!  Thank you Bakerella!!!!  



I filled the cookies with the frosting using a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton #12 tip (a round tip), putting a big blob in the center of one cookie and topping it with another.  For added cuteness, I rolled the edges in rainbow jimmies then froze the whole batch.  They came out soft and delicious!  I would highly recommend a plate and napkin (you might lose some jimmies or frosting when you take a bite).



Here are some other nice sandwich cookie ideas:




And if you want to see more, go to Flickr for more!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Bitsy!
    These look SOOO yummy, you know my birthday is coming up, right around the same time as yours...I am just saying...we can exchange gifts, I like cookies. IS there some sort of drawing you would like for your room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Looks super yummy!!! I am hungry now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love all those little colorful sprinkles!! They look like little choco rainbows...hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so yummy! Ellie and I will have to make some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome!!! I might have to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really great! I might have to make some for my BBQ next week. :)

    ReplyDelete